Meet Attorney Barry Deacon
Joseph Barrett Deacon is a fierce legal advocate for hard-working people and their families. His winning track record in both state and federal courts has inspired respect and recognition from his peers while his clients value the personal and compassionate approach he takes to every case.
A practicing trial attorney for over 40 years, Barry Deacon brings a unique perspective to his personal injury and business litigation cases. He has tried lawsuits as counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants, which has given him the insights and experience needed to protect his clients’ interests and anticipate the other side’s legal strategies.
Attorney Joseph Barrett Deacon’s trial experience includes handling personal injury cases in Texas, wrongful death, product liability claims, dangerous drugs and medical devices, railroad, agricultural litigation, complex business disputes and mass torts. In the recent past, he has battled global agribusiness companies for damage to farmers and other farming entities caused by unapproved traits in genetically modified crops. As lead trial counsel, he successfully defended the largest rice mill and marketer of long grain rice in the US against hundreds of lawsuits regarding contamination of the nation’s rice supply by an unapproved genetically modified rice. He was lead counsel in an Arkansas state court trial in this litigation that resulted in the largest jury verdict in Arkansas history for his client of $136.8 million.
Attorney Deacon has also jointly represented thousands of corn farmers from multiple states against a global biotech company who allowed an unapproved genetically modified corn seed trait to be introduced into a foreign market resulting in US corn exports to that country being rejected and turned away. US farmers involved in the suits have participated in a $1.5 billion global class settlement approved by the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas: In Re: Syngenta AG MIR162 Corn Litigation, 2:14-md-02591-JWL-JPO.
Attorney Barry Deacon has also battled the opioid manufacturers and distributors in jointly representing a number of Texas counties and hospital districts in the nationwide fight to curb the opioid crisis. See, In Re: Texas Opioid Litigation, Master File No. 2018-63587.
Joseph Barrett Deacon is regularly listed in Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers for his litigation skills in personal injury, product liability and business cases. His commitment to protecting the rights of his clients has earned him a reputation as an attorney who is dependable, reliable, and cares.
- Recognized in Super Lawyers for 15 consecutive years in practice areas of personal injury and business litigation.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America in categories of product liability, commercial litigation and railroad law.
- Recognized in the March 2012 publication of the National Law Journal as having received the fourteenth largest verdict in the United States for the year 2011. ($136.8 Million).
- In 2011, received the “Exceptional Service” award from Riceland Foods, Inc. for his leadership and successful representation of Riceland in the nationwide litigation involving the discovery of an unapproved genetically engineered rice in the U.S. commercial rice supply.
- Awarded Outstanding Attorney of the Year in 2007, by the Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel.
- AV peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell for more than 30 years, which is the highest rating for legal ability and high ethical standards.
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Texas Trial lawyers Association
- Million Dollar/Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Member and Chairperson, Arkansas Supreme Court Committee on Professional Conduct, 2006-2012
- Member, Federal Court Practice Committee, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- University of Arkansas Law School Board of Visitors
- President, Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel, 1994-1995
- President, Arkansas Bar Foundation, 2006
If we can help you in any way, please contact Barry Deacon Law.